15 fun things to do this holiday season
With Thanksgiving behind us we can now go all in on the holiday season. While most of us have many well established family traditions this time of year it is always great to check out some of the amazing holiday happenings around Seattle. I've picked my favorite 15 and hope you all enjoy something new this holiday season!
1. Pacific Northwest Ballet Nutcracker- While most of us grew up with the beloved Maurice Sendak sets, PNB overhauled their performance and the new show is stunning! With sets designed by Ian Falconer (Olivia the Pig fame) and the traditional choreography by George Balanchine it's not to be missed!
2. Gingerbread Village- Visit the lobby of the Seattle Sheraton Hotel for a gingerbread house spectacular! This years theme is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. These sweet creations with dazzle wizards and muggles alike. Donations accepted and benefit the JDRF.
3. Santa Lane at Nordstrom Flagship- Between now and December 24th head down to Nordstroms flagship Seattle store to share a visit with Santa. If you are wary of sitting on the big guys lap, watch through the window as people of all ages share their holiday wishes with Santa Clause.
4. Seattle Public Theaters production of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever- Those darn Herdman kids are still causing problems after all these years. Come see a fun and family friendly production of this Christmas classic at the Green Lake Boathouse theater.
5. Wild Lights- Marvel at the thousands of lights displayed throughout Woodland Park Zoo. You may even catch a glimpse of Santa and his reindeer too!
6. Ice Skating at Fisher Pavilion- Spend an afternoon ice skating at Fisher Pavilion located in the heart of the Seattle Center. Part of the annual Winterfest celebration, round out the afternoon with a visit to the Armory to see the holiday train display!
7. Snowflake Lane- Make your way over to Bellevue for a whimsical evening of drums, characters and SNOW!
8. Argosy Christmas Ships- Whether you choose to watch from the shore or purchase tickets to ride along on one of the ships, this is a lovely holiday tradition filled with carols and santa sightings.
9. Seattle Men's Chorus- You won't be disappointed in this swinging holiday event! With a mix of classic carols and sing along fun, this is a fun event for all ages!
10. Teddy Bear Suite- Have a teddy bear lover in your house? This suite in the Fairmount Hotel is full of bears of all shapes and sizes. Visit and then hit the lobby for hot chocolate, I recommend asking for the extra marshmallows!
11. Green Lake Pathway of Lights- On Saturday, December 10 come and visit with neighbors, sip a hot beverage and enjoy performances by local school groups and artists. Bring your own light to add to the spectacular display.
12. The Great Figgy Pudding Caroling Competition- Join carolers and spectators alike for this annual Seattle event. Form your own team and try your voice against all the festive teams. Proceeds benefit Pike Place Senior Center and Food Bank.
13. Jingle Bell Run- Feel like you need to run off some of those tasty holiday treats. Register to run the Jingle Bell Run happening on December 11th. Proceeds from this even benefit the Arthritis Foundation.
14. Leavenworth Holiday Festival- Feel like escaping to the mountains for the weekend. Check out the quaint town of Leavenworth Washington. With holiday happenings all month long it is definitely worth the trip!
15. Swanson's Reindeer Festival- Whether you need a tree, the perfect wreath or want to just visit with the Reindeer, Swanson's is the place to be! Their holiday shop is full of lovely holiday baubles, their train display with entertain kids of all ages and they have some of the best trees in the city!